Input requested and future servers

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Glitch, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Glitch

Glitch Moderator
    Moderator Member PWWO

Good afternoon FTOG,

I wanted to take a moment and discuss servers with you as well as thoughts toward FTOG.

Background:
    As you all know FTOG, presently and in the past has tried to maintain a public server presence. We query the FTOG members and establish a public server based on the results of the poll. After the server is up, it runs well for a while. Then, sadly because “Minecraft” it all starts to fall to lag. Many people who don’t understand programming will say it is the server itself not keeping up. While the ones in the “know” realizes it is all about processing and java, let me put the server concern to bed. Here is our specs:

Intel Xeon (duel) E5 1650
    128 GB RAM
    1 TB SSD
    4 TB SATA (for backup)
    1 GB NIC running with dedicated 400 up and down
    Running Ubuntu

The reason the packs get laggy is the players. No one is doing anything wrong. We are all playing as intended with modded Minecraft, but as more players get further in the pack and start using more of the mods, the server suffers performance issues. Some of this is Minecraft, some of it is Forge, and some of it is poorly designed or coded mods. There is little we can do as admins to prevent this.

I bring this up because as administrators, we are always trying to find ways to bring the community together. Wether it be servers, discord, events or just chatting. Recently we have had many discussions about the community and I felt it was a good time to bring a very important question to you all. What does FTOG mean to you? We all have an idea about a gaming community. A place for friends to meet and play games with each other. A place to relax after a long day of real life. My vision of FTOG is servers to play on, different games to play, and a place to hang out with my friends. What I have seen, is a few people sharing that vision and many many more coming to play on a server, getting bored and leaving discord, never to be heard of again.

So I poise the question again. What is FTOG to you? How can it be changed to realize your idea of the perfect community? What can be done differently to get people to interact with each other?

Your feedback is appreciated. We have 3 servers nearly ready to turn up but with the current activity of the members, it really does not make sense. Let me know what you think.

Best,
    Glitch.

waterbabynz likes this.
  2. davidhyde29

davidhyde29 New Member
    Member PWWO

i think of this community as family just like work is my family. i think alot of people like all of these servers but i think its the mod makers that are making things difficult like the modern skyblock 2 i love the pack but its the lack of fixing the game and making things harder in the game is making players give up. like nonsanity was concidering stopping his game and going to something else. the ftb beyond was way to easy to get threw i think thats why people left cause they were finished really quick on that. i will never leave ftog i will be faithful to this community no matter what. i dont really know how you can do things differently. im my opinion you really cant please everyone. sorry wish i could say more but i dont know

waterbabynz likes this.
  3. T3chn0_J0ck

T3chn0_J0ck New Member

I think of FTOG as a place to join friends for fun. Even though I'm not playing on any of the servers currently, I still enjoy coming to Discord to speak with my friends and look forward to joining in with the community in the future. The only reason I don't play just now is the timing of the end of my YT series.

waterbabynz likes this.
  4. DylanArnold

DylanArnold New Member

I know this is going to be a short post but i feel that ftog is a place to hangout and talk with others and i would hate to see it just end

waterbabynz likes this.
  5. Willfon

Willfon New Member

For me FTOG is a collection of people with whom I can chat on Discord.

It started out as a place where would lurk on the boards, and then we were
    invited to play along on a server. And that was even more fun. I even managed
    to plant my foot in my mouth a few times and say (read: write) stupid stuff,
    acting lite a twat. But as someone commented "thats OK, thats just Willfon".

But to the point. For me, FTOG is *people*, not servers. I have played on
    big network servers and I have seen what you have to do to be able to run
    this sort of server on the scale we are heading into. And as far as I know,
    we do not have a five man development staff, tweaking mods and coding
    server plugins to diminish the impact of players making horrible lag monsters.

And that's just it, isn't it? At this point we have to start thinking about what
    we want, don't we? We can't have huge open servers where everyone is
    invited to throw a building tantrum and I more or less avoided the last few
    servers, not because I don't like them and certainly not because I don't like
    the people, because I do like playing with you. And anyways, I'm mostly
    playing at off hours. I'll be around and I'll keep putting my foot in my mouth,
    or should I say stepping on my fingers, but that would probably be on
    Discord and in here. I'd love to play with you guys, but I'm horrible. I don't
    make a big mess and still I tend to make all the chunks around me lag.

And thats again back to the point. We must cut back or cut in. We either
    have to start thinking like the professional networks, making tick limiters,
    chunk loader inhibiters and whatnot. Or we have to lock down, tightening
    the greylists.

The first is unrealistic and the second is a shame.

But FTOG should be the forum and chat *first*.

waterbabynz likes this.
  6. Middleclaw

Middleclaw New Member
    Member PWWO

FTOG = Friends Through On-line Gaming. That itself is a synonym to whet FTOG is about.

What it means to me, that is another tale. A hard tale. The problem is where to start and/or how much to divulge on what if has done for me. Or even where to stop. *takes deep breath* All right. I'll try keep this short.

About me.
    I'm a UK resident in his 40s and have been medically retired from work since before I was 35. I currently suffer from both physical and mental problems and as a result have left me rather housebound and with that, goes my social life (I love alone). As a result, I have become withdrawn and generally stayed out of the public as much as I can. The only times I generally leave my place is to go to medical appointments (sometimes hospitals) or to the local grocery store. I am sure you can guess how my life went with that.

FTOG
    Now, what has FTOG done for me and what it means in my personal opinion is that the community has somewhat helped me come out of isolation somewhat, I know it is a long process and there is still a way to go (with my mental state and all) but as they say "Every little bit helps". I find that true on many cases and this is no different. At first, I was apprehensive and unwilling to talk to virtually any one. But as time passed and things slowly started to change, because of the community here, for the most part (more than a few places I can come up with) are friendly, helpful and generally good people. Hardly anyone criticised unless it was asked for, like build designs, etc. The admins here are more helpful than a lot of the servers I have been on during my early Minecraft days and that is what lead me to play SSP for most of my Minecraft career (If it can be called that). In sooth, I have spent more time on FTOG than I have on virtually the rest of the servers combined. That's how toxic the community was back then. To the Admins and Players here, I thank you for that.

The Future
    What I would like to see is the community continue as it currently is (Friendly players and staff) and not deteriorate into a cesspit of toxicity that some community's have fallen into. I will not go into specifics here but You can probably guess. I like to see a players continually helping others within the confines of admin placed restrictions (Mainly for progression reasons). I would also like to see players banding together to build communal areas where they care resources and equipment for the greater good of then community. Too many times I have seen players playing apart, going overboard hoarding things and building lost of machines that they would most likely never need, without regards for the server or other players and causing tick rate issues. I mean, why hoard all that stuff if you are never going to use it. I know mass collections are a Minecraft thing and I am fine with that but it is one thing in SSP but another matter altogether in SMP. It is just not about you, or me, on the server, it is about everybody.

In Passing
    Thank you for taking the time to listen (read) this ones words and in my opinion, kept it shorter than I anticipated.

waterbabynz likes this.
  7. DrinkGrog

DrinkGrog New Member

I really enjoyed my time playing on the servers, even though I am currently not able to due to work and family commitments. The community minded people were fun and great to be around, chat and play Minecraft with. My biggest frustration were those that were not community minded and by their actions hastened the inevitable decline into lag and shortened the enjoyable time with the servers. Maybe its better now, I'm not sure, I haven't been able to play on the last few. It would be a lot of fun to come back and play with the community again. I hope that I get a chance when other obligations aren't so steep.

waterbabynz likes this.
  8. WiViW

WiViW New Member

Playing on these servers have been a real blast and I have been enjoying them a ton with all of the different styles of players and all of the content that you guys produce. When I came into this community really being alone most of the time in real life because its what I like doing and finding a community that has a great player base and amazing people to chat to and enjoy their company has been an amazing experience and I am going to hopefully be able to continue throughout busy school years and things that life brings me through. As for having more servers it really depends on what your opening if its something light that your server that runs servers can handle on the side in continuation of the ever more popular Skyblock server then I am all up for it as something like that will diversify the player base even more to increase the amount of individuals or groups that are both friendly to this great community that we have going. In short this community has been a great thing for me to see happen online where we can enjoy the amazing benefits of having a small but still strong community that really care about each other and inspire each other to do amazing things that we can all enjoy and learn from. (Also the other comments are amazing)

waterbabynz likes this.
  9. Joukje Anna

Joukje Anna New Member
    Member PWWO

Well, what ís FTOG to me....

To me it's...

It's a bunch of minecraft loving clowns, some of them have the exact same sense of twisted humor that i have, and i feel right at home, from day one... its kinda like a family. Also, without going into details, i like the personal input we can give in the #secretproject, the opportunity to help and think with the great minds that run the servers is really special. I'm not really a talker on discord, don't like the sound of my voice, english is not my native language and i just like to listen to the people talking about almost every topic, from Ducks to problems with the induction matrixes....

In my humble opinion, don't change a thing. Keep it a place for friends to meet and play games with each other.
    The current mindset of people makes it harder to "bring the masses together" internet makes everything anonymous.
    You'll always have complainers, people who don't contribute, people who only take, i say, hang on to the people who help, who are active members, organize events, just like the patreon-duck-hunt, but open it for all (post a message in the #youmustreadme and see who comes :) whahahha)
    I for one didn't become a patreon to get "free goodies" but to support the streamers/youtubers/vidme-ers and help pay for the servers, even if its only a small amount, so opening an event for "non paying people" wouldn't affect my patreonism, hé, maybe it will attract some more patreons?

My idea is, involve the regular contributing-discord-active-players in activities, form a gaming group with those people, include patreons in the admin/helper/serveridea's and try to build from there. Loose ends will be attracted to "the group" and join, freeloaders will complain about lag and stay away.

And final....

Will I be on discord every night... nope.. i do have a job, a limited free time, plus the time difference between EST - GMT aren't that helpful, but the free time i dó have I'm spending online on discord and/or the servers, or offline atm, building stuff.. a lot of stuff, which is taking a lot of my time atm...

waterbabynz likes this.
  10. Grok the DuckFarmer

Member PWWO

To me, FTOG is a bunch of fun people to chat and sometimes play with. I have been part of FTOG for about two years now, making videos because it is fun, playing with folks, and being a nuisance in Discord with bunny pictures. I have met many great people over this time either in games or in Discord that I consider friends. It’s a shame I can’t spend all my time playing games with people, but I do appreciate a job that lets me have Discord up and running so I can post silly animal memes. As I see it, being together on Discord is something that anyone can do, regardless of what timezone we happen to live in.

It’s been my experience that communities change over time as people move in and out. Sometimes there are gobs of messages as people chat back and forth. Other times, a channel or forum can sit about with minimal action for a while. It’s what happens as people’s interests and availability changes. I’ve left several Discord servers when I realized that I had muted all the channels, and I didn’t care anymore about the subjects. I left, not because I stopped liking the people or the subject, but because my interest had shifted over time.

This same thing happens with game servers, regardless of the game. People’s interests shift and change over time, and that’s OK. A bunch of people love playing first-person shooters, and I’m not that interested in them. I love playing Lord of the Rings Online and silly games like West of Loathing, while others are playing Final Fantasy XIV that doesn’t interest me at all. And that’s OK, too.

I really do enjoy playing on a Minecraft server with other people, and I tend to say howdy to everyone logging in unless I’m AFK or recording. I would love to see community builds and shared shops/machines appear, but because there are always a few jerks who sneak into public servers, we have to use claims to restrict people’s access, and that means we end up playing solo on the same server. That’s a limitation of human nature, and it’s a shame.

Eventually the interest in some Minecraft modpack or some other game will wane and fewer and fewer people will play it. When this happens, the game server may go away. Maybe a new server spins up, or not, depending on what circumstance and interest permit. While playing with others is lots of fun, I don’t see it as the only reason for FTOG. We have the Discord channel for chatting, and I see that as the main vehicle for interacting with other FTOG folks.

Because we are playing solo, we make the common mistake of wanting ALL THE THINGS, and each new thing requires some attention by the server. At some point, the server spends more and more effort just looking at these things, even if they are not in use. I’ve been guilty of building huge setups on servers just because they looked really cool and didn’t think about the load it put on the server. Now I’m much more circumscribed in the builds I make, especially on public servers because everything leads to more server tick. Eventually a Minecraft server will get too laggy because of the sheer volume of items in the world. This can be mitigated a bit by everyone limiting the size and types of their builds, but that just delays the inevitable death. One option is to very actively police the users and remove offending builds or user’s bases. Another is to just accept the short shelf life of modded Minecraft and restart as needed. A third option is to limit the people playing on a server to a very small group of people. Each has its benefits and drawbacks. As a selfish YouTuber, I like a server that is healthy, long-lasting, and populated with people. Reality tells me I can pick one, maybe two of those server qualities, not all three. But that’s a server question, and that’s outside of FTOG which is a great group of people I like to chat with.

(Typed up during a long and boring meeting that was putting me to sleep. Could ramble off subject a bit.)

waterbabynz likes this.
  11. Virtual_Greg

Virtual_Greg New Member
    Member PWWO

Ftog to me is a good place where i can hangout and Chat with people. its nice to have some adult gamers to hangout with.

Here is my ideas
    I would like to see more organized events. I know there was just a D&D event and before that I think it was the End dragon fight. Doing some kind of weekly or monthly get together would be nice. Even if its just a random event where we all try to get in discord and watch one of the vid.me or youtubers videos together. I know the people running the community are volunteers and have real world work to do so asking them to do more then they already are feels wrong to me but i don't have a good answer to that problem. I ran a LAN party when i was in school and know how much work comes with a weekly type of event. Its not just getting the servers setup and maintaining them. To me the harder part is coming up with the events each week and getting the word out so people know its coming. I also am not a big fan of Skyblocks so I'm playing on there just to hangout with the people. One thing i was thinking about was having a server that was not a hard mode but resets once a month or even every 2 weeks for the public and one running the same pack for the youtubers on the same pack so we can still play along. This would allow the people who like to be end game in a few days to do so while still allowing the server to keep running well long term. people like me who play a pack much slower may never make it to end game but with it not being hard mode I can still play with any mod i really want. maybe have a long term pack that is more gray list. not sure how you pick the people on it.

waterbabynz likes this.
  12. Lavina311

Lavina311 New Member

FTOG means a lot to me. I am a pretty new member to this amazing community but I would like to point out a few things I love about this community:

1. The Discord
    The discord is the best organized and functional discords I’ve seen. Granted I haven’t seen/been apart of too many discords but out of the 4-5 discords I belong to this is the only one that I take time to read every post and discussion I missed. There aren’t unneeded sections or hundreds of bots blowing my computer with notifications. You can always strike a conversation with someone or get helpful advice from thorgals tech support (note usually the solution is to turn it off and back on again).

2. The Community
    The community is made up of some of the nicest people I have ever meet on the internet. They offer help and tips, enjoy thoughtful conversations or just make you smile with random posts. I could play these modpacks solo and have the same experience as I would on an FTOG server as I don’t have a base with anyone and have far less issues but I don’t for one key reason. The chat and others on the server. Being able to see other builds and chat with people on tips and solutions to problems. Now of course their are the trolls and those who have lost most common sense but it wouldn’t be the internet without them. The people who are nice and help out far out weigh the trolls. They almost always bring you up and this is the first time I’ve seen so many completely different strangers from many different countries get along and not be narcissistic or repeatably pointed out my poor spelling and grammar.

Here are a few things that I think could help the FTOG community

1. Better display key information
    Now I mean this in the nicest possible way but key information can be hard to find towards the end of a servers life. Unless your like me and fret about every little thing who ended up readin #mustread until they were two servers before the joined most people aren’t going to read a mountain of text especially when other info is mixed in and the ip is at the top. Maybe make a separate must read for the current server that’s out and make sure it’s clear (even though this is already the expectation) that everything must be known about the changes to the server.

2. More Community Events
    I know a long term Vanilla server may be coming out and other people have also suggested this but more community events with probably keep people more interested in staying on the server. Like a building competition that isn’t just Vanilla with like chisel and chisel & bits or other mods. Or some kind of pvp event (I don’t know I’m spitballing) to increase the variety of stuff going on besides the cycle of server after server.

3. A new section in discord for tech talk and the tech support
    This is my personal pet peeve that comes from reading the chat after missing a day or two and half of it is people talking about computer specs and netty.io errors. I know I lot of people enjoy these discussions but I personally don’t and probably other share my opinion. So a section where you can use the skip to the bottom option and not risk missing any of the reasons I like discord as said above would be great.

Thanks for reading my wall of text. Note this is just my opinion and none of it should be taken as I hate the way the servers work or anything just some suggestions. Love what the admins are doing keep it up!

#12 Lavina311, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    waterbabynz likes this.
  13. Bethod

Bethod New Member

Wow. So much to read here. And I totally agree with all the people who have commented before me. I came here through Thorgals videos. And I am enjoying my time since then. FTOG for me is a community of gaming nerds with the right sense of humor and their hearts at the right place. I don't care about the free server they offer us. It's the time I can spend with all of you that is important for me. After a long day, i can't wait to get to my PC and open discord to read what I have missed there.

I don't know what I can suggest changing at the moment. Just keep it like it is. A big family like place

waterbabynz likes this.
  14. Glitch

Glitch Moderator
    Moderator Member PWWO

Thank you and you have been heard.

I appreciate that so many of you took the time to respond and respond so deeply. I learned a lot of things reading through the responses and I appreciate the thought put into even the shorter ones. I can see that there are others that care as deeply for FTOG as I do. There are a few take-aways I got from this.

For one, we are doing well when it comes to the kindness and friendliness of the members of FTOG. I will admit, I am always impressed by the willingness of the community to support its own. Whether this be with computer/game support or simple advice when someone has a lot on their plate.

I feel like there is not a lot to improve here except one thing. We should have a special room in Discord for Help Support. This will take it out of General chat. Taking this out of general will do a couple of positive things.

• This will expedite the help people can give as it will insure that the request does not get “buried” in a chat about something entirely different.
    • Will alleviate the need to Admins to be overwhelmed with requests as the community can help if possible. This is going on now but with a separate channel, people needing assistance will be able to ask for help instead of “saving it” for when an admin is on.
    • Help keep things tidy and organized.

Some of you expressed the desire for more community events. I agree this would be a good thing. We have had a few in the past and it always went well. The only thing I would ask here is more input for you all.. the community. It’s not fair for a community of more than 600 to expect the same one or two people to always come up with event ideas. Everyone has great ideas and we generally have the resources to make them realized. In order for this to work we may need to think about setting up responsibilities. Maybe we are big enough for officers? Jobs within the organization of FTOG? Coordinators would be great to have. Have to think on this a bit.

Now for the harder requests and recommendations… Servers…

As you all know, we have several servers. There is 1 public server and a few private ones. These spans more than just Minecraft. We have kept the other servers private for a variety of reasons but perhaps it is time to tear down these walls (no political jokes intended). Here is what I am thinking…

There is an unintended “Inner circle” at FTOG. This is a group of people that are on almost everyday and always playing things together. You may not have know this because we are not always in FTOG Discord. This is partially my fault. As an admin in the community, sometimes I leave my real life job and log on here to just “relax”… Then I get bombed with help requests and complaints about the public server. Some people don’t take into account I am volunteering and make it my responsibility to solve their issues (FTOG related or not). As you can imagine, I flee from that stress to a private place that my friends are privy of. For this I am sorry. As I care deeply for FTOG, I should stand and fight for it and not simply flee because I am frustrated. I will do better by you all here.

It is likely that we will always have this “inner circle” but that does not mean you all can’t join it. This will take a lot of planning and logistics but we will find a way to have a public face and servers for FTOG AND a place where the active members that want to enjoy playing with us can come for a more restricted experience. This could mean opening up multiple servers and games to the “trusted” friends we have here that have shown the desire to be a part. I think we can make this happen and I pledge to find a way to make it work. I know I can count on all of you to help with that.

As for the servers, there have been quite a few that are not super stoked about the “Must Read” channel and how that works. I feel like if we move the rules to an organized forum on ftog.net, we can likely make this more streamlined and easier to manage. Discord is a tremendous tool for communication, but it is not a forum.

The last and final take away from this is to keep doing the great things and work harder on the stuff we can fix.

Thank you for the feedback and remember that in FTOG, everyone has a voice and it is an important one. This community only survives because you want it to.

Goosekb, WiViW, waterbabynz and 5 others like this.
  15. Clunky

Clunky Member

Well, for me personally, I still use FTOG as it was originally intended. As I drift through life FTOG is an anchor. It is a place I can go and once again reconnect with old and new friends.

It can be hard for any group to find a safe place to game, one that isnt full of trolls, one where people have a modicum of respect for each other and one where people mostly just want to help one another. Glitch, your addition of these great servers has made that more of a reality for all of us.

I think no matter what the bells and whistles that is in the end what is great about this place and this concept. This has been around for a decade, and Every time I pop back I leave with more friends than I started. Its an enriching experience. Also I get to prank Thor all I want, I am pretty sure that's in the bylaws. Its on the back of the page scribbled in crayon if you missed it.

16. Gentlecrabfish

Gentlecrabfish New Member

For me TFOg is a place where you can always pop in and have some fun with people. Play games, talk, or just relax.